Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My mother had a cataract operation that went bad. the doctor

My mother had a cataract operation that went bad. the doctor left bits of teh cataract in her eye that had to be removed by a retina specialist - she is 85 , arthritic and caring for her brother who has congestive heart failure in her home. she needs assistance to get the 3 different eyes drops 4 times a day (down from 8 during the first 3 weeks) - is there any recourse against the original cataract doctor - we would at least make a formal complaint somewhere to warn others and a t best get some help with the care she is going to need for quite some time apparently now that she can't drive or even bath safely by herself
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your mother's trouble. Cataract surgery is one of the most commonly done surgery with greater than 95% success rate. However, it is not perfect. The complication that you described is not common, but does happen and a known complication of cataract surgery.

Unless anything else happened that you have not described, it appears to have been an unfortunate course of events, but within the risk of the cataract surgery.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.