Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

for two months i wake up with dirty gritty sticky eyes inthe

for two months i wake up with dirty gritty sticky eyes inthe morning
my gp gave me piritron but has not helped
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You symptoms are suggestive of blepharitis and dry eyes. Your tears are made of a aqueous watery layer as well as a oil layer on the surface that keeps it from drying out. The gritty sticky eyes in the morning are due to excess mucous production in response to the irritation.

Treatment is to try to restore the integrity of the tear film. First, I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day (such as Refresh or systane). For long term relief, you may consider punctal plugs that limits the drainage of tears away from your eyes.

For the oily layer, I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged up oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this at least twice a day.

At night, you can use an eye ointment to prevent it from drying out, also available over the counter. Also, have someone observe during your sleep to see if you are able to close your eyes fully. I recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for evaluation so that treatment can be tailored specifically to you.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.