Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have the symptoms of anisocoria. Could that be caused by

Customer Question

I have the symptoms of anisocoria. Could that be caused by a small bump oh my head just over and back from my ear?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When did you get this bump on the head? Any loss of consciousness?
What symptoms of anisocoria are you having?
Are you using any eye drops?
How old are you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've had the bump about 4-6 years. No loss of consciouness. My symptoms are 1 enlarged pupil and 1 small pupil. They normally take turns. I'm using Thera Tears eye drops for dry eyes because my eyes don't water. I'm 28.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Most people have a small amount of asymmetry. Anisocoria can be cause by trauma (causing damage to the iris and pupillary sphinctor). Other causes can be due to inadvertant use of dilating eye drops (red top bottles) or nerve damage.

It is not common for the big and small pupil to alternate back and forth. I suspect that the difference you are seeing is due to a normal physiologic asymmetry. I doubt that it would be related to the head bump. I would recommend an evaluation by an ophthalmologist and they can confirm that the anisocoria is physiologic versusd the other causes I mentioned above.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.