Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I would like to know if a cystoid macular oedema is curable.

Customer Question

I would like to know if a cystoid macular oedema is curable. Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it can be treated. The treatment varies depending upon the cause. The retinal inflammation is usually treated with anti-inflammatory medications such as cortisone or indomethacin. These are usually given as eye drops, though occasionally they must be administered as an injection or by mouth. Diuretics such as diamox may help to reduce the swelling in selected cases.

Sometimes, the vitreous (the gel that fills most of the eye) pulls on the macula causing CME. A vitrectomy (surgery to remove the vitreous gel) may be required in such cases

In some cases, the swelling and inflammation which accompanies CME can cause glaucoma, a disorder which often occurs due to increased pressure inside the eye. If this happens, the glaucoma must be treated with appropriate medications to reduce the pressure.

I hope, this answer helps. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I like to know if the avastin injections which I have had are considered cortisone &/or indomethacin and if they can be part of the treatment. Thank you
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Avastin is not cortisone or indomethacin. Avastin is a brand name containing the drug bevacizumab which is an anti-VEGF(anti- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor). It can be given to treat macular edema. Research implicates VEGF as an important mediator of vascular permeability and CME. Therefore, clinical trials are being conducted to evaluate the benefit of VEGF inhibitors in treating CME associated with different conditions, such as diabetic macular edema and retinal vein occlusions.

Injections of long-acting depot steroids like corticosteroids into the sub-Tenon space usually are more effective and commonly are used in the treatment of noninfectious uveitis but they have side effects like galucoma. Peribulbar injections have a greater risk of intraocular injection than a subconjunctival approach; however, the drug delivery to the retina is superior when administered into the posterior sub-Tenon space.

Intraocular triamcinolone acetonide has been found to effectively reverse CME in eyes with many conditions, including pseudophakic CME, retinal vein occlusions, diabetic macular edema, uveitis, and juxtafoveal telangiectasis. Clinical trials are being done to study the long-term benefit and safety of this treatment approach.

When CME is associated with diabetic macular edema, focal laser photocoagulation according to the guidelines of the Early Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy Study (ETDRS) should be followed.