Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

seen by an opthamologist..my one eye..extremely bloodshot

I have fibromyalgia. I was just seen by an opthamologist because my one eye has been extremely bloodshot, and the eyebrow was hurting worse each day since last week. My MD saw it this morning and was quite concerned and had me seen by the optha. on an emergency. After examining my eye, he said I had a nodule on the eyeball, and a pus pocket which he tried to remove. I was told to take Aleve for a week and was given eye drops 4x a day for a week and then see him again. He said it was a immune attacking disease but not related to the Fibromyalgia. Do you agree? He called it something that sounded like Sclariasis but I was so nervous I didn't fully absorb what he was saying. HELP!!!
You are describing scleritis. I agree that this is not likely related to your fibromyalgia. It is not uncommonly seen patients with autoimmune disease. Basic blood test are recommended if it is severe or does not improve with treatment.

Complete blood count (CBC) and electrolytes
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
FTA-ABS (RPR)
Uric acid
Rheumatoid factor
Antinuclear antibody (ANA)

For scleritis, oral NSAIDs such as Alleve have been found to be effective. Topical steroids can help as well.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.