Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

There appears to be a small piece of dirt or lint that is floating

There appears to be a small piece of dirt or lint that is floating to the left side of my left eye--and clearly is not there; it moves around the left side of my vision on its own. Do I need to be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When did you first notice it?
Do you have any flashing lights in that eye?
Any shadow or dark curtain in the periphery if your vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I noticed it about three weeks ago.

No flashing lights in either eye.

No shadow or dark curtain in the periphery of my vision.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing is a floater. You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, it liquifies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you can somtimes see the shadows of these things. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

Sometimes new floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a retinal hole or tear. It is recommended you have have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems with your ophthalmologist or optometrist.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply--exactly the type of information I needed.