Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i have redness where the white on my eye is... it doesnt hurt

i have redness where the white on my eye is... it doesnt hurt but it is tearing up all the time... i am blind in my other eye and currently have no health insurance because i just got laid off.. please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Is the area of redness defined similar to the picture below or do they look like enlarged blood vessels?
Do you have any itching?
Any change in vision?
What is the blindness due to?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it does not look like that at all... it looks like my eye would look when i have allergies... no my eye does not itch at all... just tears and redness... the only change in vision is due to tears in my eyes... i am blind in my other eye because my optic nerve got detached while i was playing basketball when i was younger...
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Redness that your are describing can be due to dry eyes. This underlying irritation can cause the blood vessels to be more prominant. Allergies tend to itch more.

Sometimes in dry eyes, you can tear more. This is because your eyes sense irritation and tears out of reflex. First, I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day (such as Refresh or systane).

The oily layer of your tears is important as well. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged up oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this at least twice a day.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do you mean by warm compresses of your eyelids... how long should i try this before i go see someone to see if it is more serious.... i cant afford to lose sight in my eye... i will for sure press the green accept button...
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You can take use a towel soaked in moderately warm water and place them over your eyelids. Take care to not make it too hot. You can also refer the link below where it talks about using uncooked rice.

Give it couple weeks to see if it helps. If the pain is significant or you develop vision loss that is concerning, then see your ophthalmologist sooner.

Please remember to accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you very much... have a good day...
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome.