Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I had a wrinkled retina repaired in my right eye. Now two

I had a wrinkled retina repaired in my right eye. Now two months later my eye sight isn't any better. But on the two month check they found a cluster of blood vessels that was weeping blood into the eye. I was told that I would need one to four injections in the eye to correct this. There is a small cluster forming in the left eye. Will I lose my eye sight completely or partially. I love to read.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Were you told the weeping blood vessels were due to macular degeneration? Are the blood vessels in the left eye confirmed and needing injections as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told it was a type macular degeneration. The blood vessels in the left eye were small and needed only to be watched.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You are describing wet macular degeneration. This occurs when blood vessels grow underneath the retina (similar to grass growing through cracks in the side walk). There is normally a protective layer between the retina and underlying blood vessels. In macular degeneratoin, this protective layer can get weak and develop cracks, allowing these blood vessels to come forward.

Fortunately, the new injection medications are the best treatment for it. Compared to 5-10 years go, many people did not have many options and blindness was a very real possibility. The new injections can stablize the vision or limit the damage. In some patients, they are sometimes able to regain some vision.

So, wet macular degeneration is a difficult disease and losing vision even with treatment is a possibility, the eye injections have been very helpful in treating it and the best treatment we have to date.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon