Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have had a bad cold for the past week, and now I suspect

Customer Question

I have had a bad cold for the past week, and now I suspect a sinus infection. Over the weekend I developed pink eye in my right eye on Saturday, it got better, but on Monday I woke up with pink eye in my other eye. My eyes are almost back to normal, but I was so sad to see my 3 year old son with pink eye this morning. I had been so careful to wash my hands and not let the kids lay on my bed pillow, so I'm sad that it looks like I gave him pink eye. This morning his eye was a little bit crusty, but he has not had any other discharge during the day. The main symptoms are that his eye is pink, and his eye lids are quite swollen. My question is, is this something that I need to take him in to the pediatrician for, or will his clear up fairly quickly like mine did? He looks so pittiful with is swollen lids, but the eye does not seem to bother him. I will do my best to keep it from spreading to the other eye, or his 5 year old sister! Thanks for any help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Your son is likely to follow the same corse as yours. However, it would be safer to take him to an ophthalmologist. If you have difficulty in doing that you can use an anti-biotic eye drop like Tobramycin 3 times a day for 5 days. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this sound like a case of viral or bacterial conjunctivitis? I thought with viral conjunctivitis it just had to run it's course. Thank you so much for your time.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
If the discharge is purulent, it is likely to be bacterial. It the discharge is clear and just watering is there, it is likely to be viral. Viral usually runs it's course but anti-biotics may be given to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Thanks.