Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My doctor says I am on the low end of the spectrum

I was diagnosed a few months ago with anxiety disorder w/OCD tendencies. My doctor says I am on the low end of the spectrum as far as the ocd is concerned. She prescribed Wellbutrin
450 mg. (increased over time) and increased my effexor that I had been taking for several years from 75 to 150 mg. I am a 55 year old female. I own my own business along with other family members including my husband.

Over the last few weeks, I have developed an eye movement problem. I tend to "have to"
move my eyes mostly upwards and back & forth when I talk with someone and I am continually widening my eyes not matter what I am doing. It seems like a habit I have developed for some reason but can't seem to self-control it. Everytime I try to relax and not do the widening, I still do it seconds later. What could cause this and what possible techniques could I do to stop doing this. It effects my depression, thinking I am going to do this for the rest of my life! please, do you have suggestion?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
How long after the wellbutrin did you start to get these symptoms?
Do your eyes feel heavy and tired?
Any change in vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
symtom started about 6-7 weeks after increasing the wellbutrin from 300 to 450 mg.
but I have been taking it since since March of this year - began 150 mg increased to 300
and then to 450.

Eyes do not feel heavy. Maybe just a little tired.

No change in vision.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing may be related to dry eyes. Most anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications have some anti-cholinergic effects that has a tendency to dry out your eyes.

Dryness can cause your eyelids to be slightly droopy. In response, you may be compensating by widening your eyes to see better. Try some artificial tears 4-6 times a day and see if that helps with comfort of your eyes.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.