Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

A friend accidently hit me in the right eye last night and

A friend accidently hit me in the right eye last night and I am seeing flashes none. Should I be concerned?
How many times have you seen the flashes?
How old are you?
What were you hit with?
Do you see any floaters?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There have been several flashes and happen randomly. I am 50 years old and my friend accidently hit me with her hand. I have not noticed any floaters. Should I be concerned enough to seek immediate attention or can I wait until my doctor opens in the morning? Also, should I exercise?
It is unlikely that getting hit in the eye with a hand is causing the flashes. You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, it liquifies and can sometimes clump together causing floaters. As it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommend that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are not problems such as a retinal hole or tear. It is ok to wait tomorrow to call for an appointment. Normal activities are ok. In most people, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesion that is found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.