Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

what can a blood clot do to you if you get one behind your

what can a blood clot do to you if you get one behind your eye as i did last year it was found when i went for a check up for my eyes
Do you have any decrease in vision?
Where was the clot?
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have glaucoma and i go for check ups that is when i found out i had a blood clot behined my eye this was last year i felt no pain the doctor gave me tablet to desolve it and i wonderd if there was any chance of it comming back ?
Clots in the back of the eyes usually affect the retinal blood vessels. This can come in two forms -- a CRVO (central retinal vein occlusion) or BRVO (branch retinal vein occlusion). Glaucoma and high blood pressure are a risk factor, so it is important to control those two things. It is not common to have it happen more than once. If the clotting happens often, they you doctor may want to check for an underlying clotting disorder.

There is another possibility of the artery being blocked -- CRAO (central retinal artery occlusion) or BRAO (branch retinal artery occlusion). This is usually due to emoboli, pieces of artery plaques in the neck arteries traveling to the eyes. An ultrasound of the neck arteries can help determine with that.

It is likely you had a BRVO. Controlling your hypertension is key. If it happens again, you may need further blood testing.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.