Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have had a floater with flashes in my left eye for two days

I have had a floater with flashes in my left eye for two days now. It sounds like I have a detached retina. It is Labor Day weekend and I
can't see my eye doctor. What should I do or not do until I can see him. I've never had anything like this before. i don't wear contacts . The eye feels sore on one side. Is it serious?
It looks like like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Even if you see a doctor it is not going to do any harm in 2-3 days. But a dilated fundus examination is important to ensure that it is just a posterior vitreous detachment and you have not developed a retinal tear. Thanks.