Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i just purchased and used an eye gel that contains aloe vera

i just purchased and used an eye gel that contains aloe vera and tea tree, now my left eye suddenly turned black and blue, the name of the product is ALBA green tea eye gel, I realize now that i may ave used too much and applied it all over my face, not thinking it would cause this type of reaction, I will discontinue use, if this is the true cause of the product, what is your opionion?? I am a 50 year young female who looks like I just got punched in the eye
thank you for your time regarding this matter,
Bright Blessings always,
R
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any redness on the whites of your eyes? Any pain? How long after the application of the gel did your eyes turn black and blue?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No i do not have any redness on the whites of my eyes, nor any pain one the eye nor underneath the discolored eye area, i applied the eye gel around 5:30p.m. and noticed it to be black and blue about 2 hours later.

Thanky ou so much for your response to my querey

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
It is appear you had an allergic reaction to the gel. It will resolve on its own since the offending agent is removed. It it is swollen in addition to being bruised you can put ice on it and take an over the counter allergy pill.

If you develop pain, double vision, decreased vision, then it is recommend you see a doctor. Otherwise, it should resolve over 1-2 weeks similar to a bruise.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much doctor for your quick response, your time regarding this matter is invaluable to me, I had a feeling to discontinue the item(gel) and get my money back for it may be too strong for my sensitve eye area, I cannot thank you enough for your work here on this Just answer forum and that you were available to me( and others) I too am a healer ( hands on spiritual healer ) but felt led to come to you in your area of expertise regarding this situation.

bright blessing to you always, from one healer to another

R

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doctor, i did apply some ice prior to my posting to your just answer forum, and would like to know if I take Alavert, would this help ease up on my allergic reaction to the eye gel product I purchased today?? also, how often do/would i need to utilize the ice pack on the eye???

thanks again for your time

blessings

R

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Alavert would be fine to help if it was swelling or had significant itching. The ice pack today 10-15 minutes every 1-2 hours should be fine. That should help any swelling, but the bruising (black eye) will still be there and take time to go away on its own.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning Doctor,

I am wondering what could have caused this to my eye ?? how could this have been happened, could this also be an underlying concern ???

I am worried

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
From your description and timeline, it was likely the ointment. If there is no pain, change in vision and it doesn't worsen, no need to worry.