Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I had cataract surgery several years ago. Yesterday, I woke

I had cataract surgery several years ago. Yesterday, I woke with a lot of floaters. Today, floaters are still there and eye is very cloudy. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Hello there
Things that seem to float in your vision are imperfections in the gel in the back of the eye (vitreous). If these are chronic, they are not worrisome unless they are increasing. However, since yours have developed recently, you should have your eyes examined. The reason is that this may simply be floaters in the gel, as a normal consequence of the aging eye, however it may also be a sign of a torn or detaching retina.   Since you also have cloudy vision, and this happens to be a long weekend, you should go to an Urgent Care or ER where an ophthalmologist can be consulted for a dilated exam. I hope this helps, Sincerely

Dr. Stevens