Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my left eye has a solid red patch on the white area. this is

my left eye has a solid red patch on the white area. this is the3rd day.   it still looks extremely red and now has shifted slightly to the lower part of my whites , like it is moving slowly. it does not itch and no discharge.    prior to this i tried an over the counter eye drops. should i just let this run its course? thank you.   and is this contagious.. it really looks awful... could the eye drops have caused it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin covering it. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing. Unlikely related to any eye drops and not contagious.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.