Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My huaband has blood on his left eye. It is not a normal blood

My huaband has blood on his left eye. It is not a normal blood shot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
your husband likely has a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin covering it. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

If it happens frequently, then his doctor may consider basic blood testing to determine if you have any bleeding disorder.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. He should contact his ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you and your husband. Smile