Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have been diagnoised with meibomianitis. My eyes dont crust

Customer Question

I have been diagnoised with meibomianitis. My eyes don't crust over. They get itchy and fill like bugs on my eye lashes. I even get these little black things off of my eye lashes. Are these bugs? and how do I get rid of them? Inna
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Your symptoms seem to be a little contrary to meibomitis. In meibomitis there is plugging of the microscopic meibomian glands at the margins of the eyelids, thus making the tear film unstable and causing dryness in the eye. The patient has irritation in the eye despite normal tear production. The treatment for this is not antibiotic eye drops, but lubricating eye drops, massage of the eyelids to open the ducts and if required oral doxycycline.
What you are describing seem more like blephritis i.e. inflammation at the base of the eyelashes. The symptoms are mostly crusting at the base of eye lashes with irritation/itching of eyes. There can be occasional redness also. The treatment for this is antibiotic eye ointment to be applied on the eyelid margins, washing with baby soaps, antibiotic and lubricating eye drops. Blephritis is seen mostly in patients with dandruff in the hair on the head. You need to treat the dandruff for completely curing the blephritis. Your symptoms are not getting relieved because you have not been prescribed any antibiotic eye ointment to be applied at the base of eye lashes.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was given lotemax andFML S.O.P. oin allergan.I do not have any dandruff.And I have been doing all those things to my eyes. This has been going on 4 years now. I have been to 4 Dr. the last one was an eye dr. He prescribed these meds. But I still wake up at night with the scawling feeling and little black seed like things coming from my eyes.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Have you been able to capture the balc seed like things to get them examined?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took them to my eye dr. He put them under the microscope. He said he couldn,t tell anything from them. They feel like they are biting me. When I feel a sting, there is a black seed like thing there. It wakes me up every morning about 2 am. Kinda looks like a poppy seed but smaller.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Your symptoms seem a little unusual. Usually live worms are not present on the eyelids or eyelashes. Your symptoms can be present due to the blephritis or infection at the eyelash base. I would advise you to consult use the prescribed antibiotic ointment before going to sleep to help your symptoms.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
You are most welcome. I am glad to be of help.
Regards