Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

eyelids..resultant tears..outer skin of the eyelid around the eye

My wife , 65 yrs of age, has a reccurring problem of highly irritated eyelids particularly when the eye waters and the resultant tears overflow onto the outer skin of the eyelid around the eye. We have consulted with a senior eye specialist consultant who treated her for Blefaritis which was cleared but did not help the irritation, we consulted with a senior skin specialist and had allergy patch test which showed super allergic reaction to nickel but none to most other things such as her makeup. This is causing my wife to break down and is sapping her strength and resolve
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Is she using any eye drops at present?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no she is not
she is dabbing the eyelids with clean water and trying to keep them dry.

she has a cream of half percent hydrocortisone bp to use
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Does she apply the hydrocortisone cream on the lid margin or lower?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she applies to the outer lids upper and lower up to the lashes.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
She can not do this for long as steroids, if used for long can cause complications like development of cataract, glaucoma e.t.c. in her eyes. She does not even have to keep the eyes dry.

She should use an anti-allergic eye drop like Pataday(dual mode of action). She should also use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh tears 3-4 times a day instead of keeping the eyes dry. She can continue with the hydrocortisone cream say for a week more and then when she starts feeling better, she should discontinue the the hydrocortisone cream but Pataday and Refresh Tears should continue for a long time. I believe, this should work for her.

If she wears spects, you have to ensure that the frame is not made of nickel. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.