Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi there -- last night I woke up multiple times because my

Hi there -- last night I woke up multiple times because my eyes was hurtin, and this morning when I woke up, it was red, slightly swollen, and hurt when I blinked. this has continued throughout the day, is getting redder, and is still quite painful. I've never had any problem with the eye before this...it was not bothering me at all last night when i went to bed. It almost seems like I have a bump on my eyelid right above my eyelashes. I am watching a friend's cat, and it was on the bed with me last night...I'm wondering if I'm having a possible reaction to this? I called my doctor earlier, and they said this was probably the case, and suggested I put some tea bags on it. I wanted to get a second opinion though; any suggestions on how I can get the swelling and redness to go down? I am in a wedding tomorrow and don't want to have a red, puffy eye! I have not been using anything different on my face in terms of makeup, etc. Would love to get your opinion. Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Do you wear contact lenses? Are both eyes swollen? Any change in vision?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do wear contact lenses. Only the right eye is swollen. No change in vision aside from the swelling inhibiting my vision a bit. My actual eyeball seems to be fine (from what I can tell), it's just right above my eyelashes that hurts.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You likely have a stye. A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

Sometimes the stye can cause an infection that spread through the lower eyelid. In this case, antibiotics pills are needed. If you notice the swelling increasing or increasing pain, see your primary care doctor or ophthalmologist for a prescription.

I also recommend you stop using your contact lenses at this time until it heals. Also, I do not recommend using the tea bags as it may have bacteria and other things that may irritate the eyes further.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the quick feedback. Do you know about how long this will take to go away? Can I sleep with a warm compact on my eye? Just trying to make it as small as I can by that wedding tomorrow. I can go without my contacts, but am I able to put any eye makeup on? (even just mascara?)
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
For the warm compresses, you can try using a small potato and put in the microwave to make it moderate warm. You don't want it too hot. Wrap it in a towel to protect keep your skin from burning. A potato will stay warm longer.

You can also ask the doctor to call in a steroid/antibiotic ointment to help with the stye. It won't completely be gone by tomorrow, but should be better. You can also use cool compresses tomorrow to help reduce any swelling.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon