Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

22 year old male in good health experiences eye fluttering,

22 year old male in good health experiences eye fluttering, usually when speaking to new people or under stress. This a longterm condition but seems to be worse now. He is under the stress of finding a career now that he's graduated college and being sensitive able his recent weight gain over the last two years. Had recent physical and everything is fine except for slightly elevate cholesterol. I am concerned it might be a system of epilepsy, touretts, too much pressure, depression or anxiety. He is relatively shy but not painfully.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Are you referring to his eyelid fluttering? Any change in vision? Caffiene drinker?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am concerned about the eye fluttering and what may be causing it.
No change in vision to my knowledge.
Light caffiene drinker - one diet Coke or Ice Coffee per day.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
The eyelid fluttering is termed blepharospam. As you mentioned, this can be a manisfestation of stress. An uprelated emotional states can cause these twitching. Caffiene, smoking, lack of sleep can due the same. Underlying yee irritation can do this as well. I reccommend he try artificial tears.

Try to identify the triggers I listed above and address them individually to see if his symptoms improve.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You make reference to "eyelid fluttering" however I was asking about eye fluttering. His actual eyeball roles up and flicks a few times, typically when he begins to speak with new people.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the confusion.

Eyeball fluttering is called nystagmus. When his eyes are fluttering, does your son see the images "flutter"? Is it one eye or both eyes? Does this happen all the time or sometimes?

You mentioned he's had this since he was child. What have other doctors said about it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what my son see's when his eye's flutter and I only recently asked if he was aware of it. He said someone had mentioned it to him. The flutter is with both eyes. It doesn't seem to happen around close friends and family but does seem to happen with strangers frequently.
We have not dicussed the condition with other doctors.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Nystagmus (or the fluttering of the eyeballs) can be congenital or acquired. Often times if it is congenital and present through the child's life, then that person is usually not aware of with. New onset will may have sensations of the vision fluttering as well (oscillopsia).

I suspect that it has been present for a long time and your son is not aware of it happening. There are different classification of nystagmus. Rarely is it an indication of a brain problem.

It is recommend that he see an ophthalmologist or possibly neuro-ophthalmologist for a detail exam and possible neuro-imaging if warranted.

Please remember to accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is "nystagmus" fluttering of the eyes up and down, or right and left? His fluttering is up and down. I spoke with my son and he experiences no vision impairment, is not usually aware of it, but realizes he has had it for years. He doesn't think it's anything to be concerned about. Do you?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Your can have horizontal (left-right), vertical (up-down), or torsional (rotation right-left). Vertical nystamus is concerning and should be evaluated.

I believe a baseline eye exam would be beneficial.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon