Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I am a 57 year old male. Right dominant eye -4.25, left eye

I am a 57 year old male. Right dominant eye -4.25, left eye +2.5, lifetime amblyopia. No astigmatism in right eye, slight astigmatism in left eye (-1.25).
I was examined and was encouraged to get crystalens hd. However, doing some research, I am wary that crystalens has more side effects, and so have investigated monovision. It seems that I have had a type of monovision all my life, (one eye near, the other far sighted). So perhaps a monofocal aspheric lens in right eye for middle distance (I am a portrait painter), and a monofocal for far vision in the historically weak, and far sighted eye.
Does this make good opthamalogic sense to you?
Thanks for the help.
DM
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
What has been your best visual acutiy in the amblyopic left eey? Which eye is the cataract surgery for?

Do you mind wearing reading glasses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I regret that I don't have the numbers for the left eye. However, it is the weak eye and I depended for all the detail (both reading and long distance) on my right eye.
I don't mind reading glasses.

The right dominant eye is to be implanted with an iol. The left eye does have some cataract as well.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Crystalens is one of the new lens types that attempts to give good near and distance vision. It is different than the others in that the lens is hinged that allows for some movement with near vision.

graphic

The standard, however, is still the regular monofocal lens. It will give you the clear vision, but without the benefit of accomodation. If you don't mind wearing reading glasses, however, then that is a non-issue.

I recommend the standard monofocal lens in your case. Your surgeon is able to determine your post surgical prescription.

1. He may elect to leave you without a prescription, which means distance vision is clear without glasses and you would need reading glasses.
2. He may elect to leave you myopic or nearsighted (-2.00), which allows you to see upclose without glasses, and you would need glasses for distance such as driving.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you mentioned two options - near vision and far vision. I was interested in a third option - middle distance. I have read that this is from 4 feet to 15 or 20 feet. That is what I am considering for a monofocal lens since it allows me to paint from a model in the studio.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
That would likely be the most natural prescription for you since you have been nearsighted most of your life. You would need glasses for distance (such as driving or watching TV).

Please remember to accept.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon