Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Dear Dr. My 57 year-old husband has just noticed

Dear Dr.
          My 57 year-old husband has just noticed that the pigmentation of his iris is disappearing at the very top of each eye in a somewhat crescent shape.   He has worn contacts for the past 40 years and is wondering if the contacts may have been able to "rub" off the iris pigmentation . If not , then he is wondering what the cause could be . He is fairly frightened to have just noticed this. We would greatly appreciate any help.   Thank you very much.   Patty G.
Hello Patty,

The contact lenses are unrelated to change in iris pigmentation. The contact lenses sits on the cornea and has no contact with the iris. Things that can cause loss of iris pigmentation could be age, inflammation, pigment dispersion syndrome, viral infections.

Besides age, the other things should be looked at and treated if necessary. I recommend he see his ophthalmologist for evaluation.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Dr. James, Thank you for your timely reply to my question. I am somewhat relieved by your answer but just wondering what the likely chance of permanent vision loss could be if it turns out that my husband has pigmentary dispersion syndrome. He is a very active lawyer by day requiring him to read long hours at his laptop and a very avid golfer on the weekends. I sense that he fears loss of visual acuity and wants to know if the condition responds to treatment well. Thank you very much (again).

Patty G

You're welcome.

Pigmentary dispersion syndrome by itself does not cause vision loss. With the continued showering of pigment however, the drainage channels of the eyes can get clogged up and result in increase eye pressure and glaucoma.

Eye pressure can be treated with eye drops, laser, and surgery if necessary. It would be premature at this point to talk about specific diagnosis and vision loss until after a thorough exam.

Please remember to accept if my answer was helpful. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much I'm relieved and we will get an appointment with an opthamologist asap
You're welcome.