Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

for the last couple of years my eyes seem to sting and burn

for the last couple of years my eyes seem to sting and burn at random times everyday and it does not matter where i am at. Home, outside, grocery stores...etc... I am 52 years old and this is very frustrating and seems to burn especially when i tear up for no apparent reason. I feel like my own tears are making my eyes burn. I do not where any makeup at all because if i do and my eyes start to burn it is so much worse. I do not wear contacts either. I wear eyeglasses at all times for about 8 years now but my eyes burn with and without them. It does not matter what season it is because it happens even in the winter months and not just pollen seasons. I have tried over the counter eye irritation solutions but not helping. just to give you an idea, when my eyes start to burn it feels like i got soap in my eyes and i can't see and the irritation last about a minute or so then its gone. Is their something you could recommend and is their a name for what I have?   Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When was the last time your eyes were examined? Which eye drops have you been using specifically?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
last eye exam about 3 years ago and specifically tryed clear eyes and Visine a.c
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You symptoms are suggestive of dry eyes. Your tears are made of a aqueous watery layer as well as a oil layer on the surface that keeps it from drying out. This has likely been going on for sometime, so will therefore take time to calm down.

Treatment is to try to restore the integrity of the tear film. First, I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day (such as Refresh or systane). I would adise you to stop the Visine as it has a medication in it that can cause irritation if used long term. For long term relief, you may consider punctal plugs that limits the drainage of tears away from your eyes.

For the oily layer, I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged up oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this at least twice a day.

At night, you can use an eye ointment to prevent it from drying out, also available over the counter. I recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for evaluation so that treatment can be tailored specifically to you.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile