Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My daughters 4 1/2 mths old her pupil in right eye is deforming

My daughters 4 1/2 mths old her pupil in right eye is deforming. it is now stretched inward and upward at the top . it still dialates normally but still in deformed shape. At birth and up to this point it has been normal. What could be doing this?
Does it respond to light? Is the size of the pupils the same in both eyes? Is there any abnormal tearing of her eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it responds to light. Both pupils are the same in size but not the same shape. No abnormal tearing.
The colored part of the eye or the iris is a muscle that constricts and dilates. Weakness or paralysis in a particular sector of the iris can give the appearance of a non-round pupil. This sectoral damage is unusual. Possible causes could be inflammation in the eye, paralysis of the muscle, or damage from trauma.

I would recommend your daughter get an evalation by an ophthalmologist or pediatric ophthalmolgist to assess the vision and check the health of the eyes.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile