Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I was diagnosed with high eye pressure last year (reading of

I was diagnosed with high eye pressure last year (reading of 28) and I am now currently taking Travatan Z. I have developed redness around my eyes and dark circles, it looks as if I am tired all the time. What can I do to eliminate or reduce this side effect? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please email me [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago via Glaucoma Research Foundation.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What other medicines have you tried? What has you ophthalmologist said about this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been using Travatan Z since April 2008, last month I used a free sample of Xalatan, now I am back on Travatan Z. I have these dark circles around my eyes and also redness, it looks as if I did not sleep in days. I just asked my opthtalmologist and I am waiting for an answer. I was searching online for any information. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Both the redness and hyperpigmentation are side effects of the Travatan.

There are other medicines available. You should talk to you ophthalmologist about a trial of those medicines. The redness should improve with artificial tears and cessation of the medication. The periorbital hyperpigmentation may not however. If the discoloration is bad, you may consider topical medication that will bleach the skin or laser treatments.

You may need referral to a dermatologist for those treatments.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile