Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I must have overactive lacrimal glands, or something. Happy

Customer Question

I must have overactive lacrimal glands, or something.

Happy - I cry.
Sad - I cry.
Scared - I cry.
Get criticized - I cry.

Any little thing sets my tears off. Why? Is there something I can do to control the tears??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
Hello.
One might gues that you are vety depressed and the smallest stimuli sets you off. Can you tell me more about your life situation. e.g. relationships, family, school or work, recent losses etc. How long has this condition been present?

Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think I am depressed. I'm in a committed 5-year (almost) relationship. Prior to him was a committed 7 year relationship.

My family is very interesting. 3 half brothers, my dad's kids from another marriage. My dad, who has always worked the graveyard shift at the Pharmacy my entire life. My mom, who "wears the pants" and the ultimate pessimist. I'm widely aware of the mental damage she's done, or could've done - calling my sister and I fat growing up, telling us we weren't good enough, etc. My sister and I are very close. My brothers, not as close, but we have a good relationship. My parents are still married, 27 years, and we have a good relationship with them too (with the occasional outburst from my mom).

I completed my college degree in 2005, and have been working for the same company for 4 years.

No recent losses.

I've cried easily for as long as I can remember (earliest memory is at age 4)
There are 7 quick signs of depression could you answer them. If after your results are not indicative with depression, I would like to tranfer it to one of our medical experts with your permisson
Do you sleep more or less than useless?
Do you lack interest in things?
Do you feel guilty?
Have you a reducede energy level?
Is your concentration impaired?
Has your appetite changed?
Are you either resless or physically retarded?
Do you think of suicide?
What emotion do you excperience when the tears flow as all the things you listed were negatives except happy?
Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC
R
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you sleep more or less than useless?
I sleep about 5 hours a night

Do you lack interest in things?
I'm interested in a ton of things - swimming, hockey, working out, music...

Do you feel guilty?
Nope.

Have you a reducede energy level?
Nope.

Is your concentration impaired?
Nope.

Has your appetite changed?
I have a healthy appetite, always have. 5'4", 120lbs.

Nope.

Do you think of suicide?
Never.

It ranges... I'm not good enough (from my mom) / why can't my life be easy?... etc.
Well you definitely do not sound depressed. I have truthfully never heard of this condition and so except as a nervous reaction-like laughing at every thing irrespective of the stimuli. So I am opting out and recategorizing your question as medical
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do i have to resubmit?
I would suggest you repost unnder medical. In all honesty, it may be a psychological condition, but I have never experienced it. It may be as I said a nervous reaction like laughing when injured, but I would try the medical route first-ggod luck. I shall be following it closely.

Ralph LMHC
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok. thanks for your help. i will resubmit now.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Your lacrimal apparatus which drains the tears from the eyes into the nose could be blocked. You could get the patency of the lacrimal apparatus checked by getting syringing test done. You will have to go to an ophthalmologist for this test. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON, so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

If the lacrimal apparatus which drains the tears from your eyes into the nose is blocked then tears flow down onto your cheeks. As you are troubled with excessive tearing, there could be a partial or total blockage of the lacrimal apparatus. To confirm it a test known as syringing is done for which you will have to go to an ophthalmologist. Thanks.