Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I got flashing light in my left eye followed by a a dull headache

I got flashing light in my left eye followed by a a dull headache for a day about 2 weeks ago. Since then i have have lost peripheral clarity in my left eye.

I now find it difficult with dark circles when I am reading in daylight and light circles when reading wiht artificial light at night.

What's the problem
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Have you been to an ophthalmologist yet?
Do you suffer from any known eye disease?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No not known eye fact very good 20/20 vision previously
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
<p>Do you have any floters?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes just have lived with them for some time now

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
You are very likely to have developed what we call posterior vitreous detachment. It is an ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the liquifies with age and shrinks. This causes a pull on the retina and may cause the appearance of flashes of light and floaters. In most of the cases no complication occurs but sometimes a retinal tear can happen which can progress to a retinal detachment leading to severe diminution of vision. Since, you feel the vision to be reduced in your periphery, it is important that you get a dilated fundus examination to rule out a retinal detachment in the periphery. It is important that it is detected early so that it can be lasered and vision preserved. Once the detachment spreads and reaches macula, the prognosis is poor.

Another possibilty is glaucoma which also causes peripheral loss of vision. With these symptoms, you must see an ophthamologist early. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be warmly welcomed.