Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have been using Visine for red eyes for years not knowing

I have been using Visine for red eyes for years not knowing that everyday use is terrible for you. They no longer work to whiten my eyes and I believe because of the overuse they have caused my eyes to be chronically red and bloodshot and nothing gets rid of the red. Is there any permanent damage that could have been caused by using eyedrops everyday for probably a good 5 years and if i stop using them will the problem be reversed so my eyes will start being a little whiter? I can't stand having bloodshot eyes ALL of the time! Is there anything else I can do that is safe?
Visine eye drops are basically decongestant eye drops used for relieving mild symptoms of eye allergy. A chronic use of visine or most of the eye drops can lead to dryness of eyes. The same seems to be your case. I would advise you to slowly reduce the frequency of visine eye drops over the next few days. Initially you an use them twice a ay for a week, then once a day for a week and then discontinue them. Simultaneously, you need to start using lubricating eye drops like systane/genteal/tars naturale II and lubricating eye gel like refresh gel/genteal gel etc.
This treatment should help relieve your symptoms. If they still persist then you would need to consult an Ophthalmologist for a first hand examination.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I follow your steps will this eventually lead to the reduction of my red eyes?
If the redness is due to chronic dryness, then slowly it will resolve with treatment.
Regards