Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

my daughter has what look like one blood cot in each eye what

my daughter has what look like one blood cot in each eye what would cause this problem
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Hello there
what is her age and how did they come on? Has she been straining, lifting heavy objects, coughing as with a head cold or involved in trauma? Is she on any medicines?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no she is on no med she is a cheerleading she throws girls up in the air all th time and gets plenty of bruises she in really good shape
This is what we call a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. In your daughter's case it probably was from lifting and straining. The blood will be reabsorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Usually, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, or a mild pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. If this happens more than several times, she should see her doctor to make sure there is no underlying ocular problem and to be sure she does not have high blood pressure or bleeding disorder.
I hope you find this helpful, Dr. Stevens
This link has a pic of a very small hemorrhage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage