Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I get red blotches in the white part of my eyes. These are

I get red blotches in the white part of my eyes. These are usually followed by severe migranes. What causes them, what can I do to get rid of them. How do I avoid getting them?
Are these blotches in your vision or do you see them in the mirror? Are you under treatment for migraine? How old are you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are not in my vision. You can see them in mirror. Other ppl can see them when they look at me. I am not under any treatment. When I get a bad migrane, I go to the clinic and they usually give me shots for dizziness and pain. Nothing else works. I am 29 years old.
Can you post a picture of these red spots? Are they there all the time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a camera at this time to post it on here. I am at work. They are not there all the time. It's like having bloodshot eyes only designated to one certain area. They appear in different areas only when a migrane is coming on. It comes in one or both eyes. The doctor that I usually go to thought it was from a feather pillow just irritated. I don't even own a feather pillow. I don't have allergies. If someone had a cell phone I could send it to them that way.
Typical eye symptoms of migraines are visual auras that include flashes of light followed by headache. Red eyes are not typical. Blood shot eyes are typically an indication of underlying dryness. Sometimes, the dryness and eye pain can trigger a migraine.

I do not recommend Visine. Some of them have medication that "gets the red out" but your eyes can develop a dependency and them and can result in redder eyes. Consistent use of artificial tears can be of great help (4-6 times a day). If you have itching associated with the redness, you may also have a component of ocular allergies. In that case, an over the counter antihistamine eye drop such as Zatidor twice daily can be useful.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where do I get this Zatidor stuff? Is it over the counter? The eyes are not dry, visine/artificial tears doesn't help. Is this Zatidor stuff like that?
Yes, it is available over the counter at most pharmacies. It is an antihistamine for allergies used twice a day.

Please remember to accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will it make the pain stop in the eye or just make the redness go away?
I cannot guarantee that. If the pain is due to allergies, then it will help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you get migranes from having allergies in your eyes? Will it stop the migrane too then?

As I stated earlier, sometimes migraines can be triggered by pain in your eyes. That is usually not the only trigger however. If you have frequent migraines, you will likely need treatment for that separately.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how could i find out if i have eye allergies? THis medicine is $14.
Is that too much?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm sorry but it costs alot to me. Thank you for your time. I just want to get rid of these migranes. I thought I would do anything to get rid of them, to keep them away. i thought i was doing good tryin to find the triggers. This is definetly one of them. I'm sorry, just the drs around here don't really have any idea what it is, and I'm maxed out now. Thank you for your help.
No need to be sorry. Best of luck to you.