Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I started to have an eye twitch about a month ago. It seemed

I started to have an eye twitch about a month ago. It seemed to go away after about two weeks. About a weeek ago I noticed that when I move my upper lip, whether it be in talking or eating, my right upper eyelid moves as well. I have had bloodwork done and my thyroid checked and also tested for lyme disease. All came back normal. The only abnormality was that sometime in the past I was exposed to Bartonella but am not currently infected. Could there be some connection between the nerves in my mouth and the nerves in my eye that is causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

There is a condition called aberrant regeneration. It is relatively common with the facial nerve. Sometimes, when the facial nerve is injured (from infection like shingles or inflammation like Bell's Palsy), it regenerates by sending abnormal linkage to different muscle groups. The same nerve then will affect muscles that are different that those it affected before the injury. The facial nerves seems very prone to this. There is even one phenomenon so common that it has a name (called Marcus Gunn Jaw Winking). This occurs when you chew, the eyelid winks. This sounds similar to what you have.

There is really no cure other than extensive surgery to separate the abnormal strands of nerves (without damaging them). Some have tried nerve medications to only mild success.

I hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you get this from a tooth infection?