Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

If I close my left eye I see a brown circle in front of my

If I close my left eye I see a brown circle in front of my right eye.
When did you first notice this brown circle? Do you have any flashing of light? Do you see a shadow in the periphery of your vision? Is you vision affected?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I noticed it tonight. No flashing of light. My periphery is not affected, the circle appears when I close the left eye and it appears in the right eye. No, my vision is not affected until I close the eye. It is not a dot, it is a circle. I do wear glasses and the circle is there when I have them on and cover the eye and also when they are off and I close the eye.
You are likely experience a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. As it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. You can see floaters and sometimes a ring (Weiss ring) that you are currently experiencing.

It is recommend that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are not problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most people, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesion that is found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile