Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I am a male 53 years old and this morning when I woke up my

Customer Question

I am a male 53 years old and this morning when I woke up my left eye was not working properly, best I can explain is at first I was seeing very colorfull electronic sparks ,,purple red blue,yellow and sort of like looking at a fireworks display in the air,
in about 30 min. the colorfull display went away,,
Now the left eye just have a vision as if I was wearing gogles and there is a blue mud splash on the center of the lense,
also my alarm clock display is red however when I look at it it has a mix of blurry red and yellow,
seems all the collors are not being processed correctly ,,
the right eye is normal all along this experience,
as a child untill I turned 47 had exelent eye sight,, as the years go along I had to start using reading glasses starting out with weak lense and now up to 1.75 power,, I do not want to alarm my family of this news untill I can have some answers to what is going on,

Thanks XXXXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am concerned about 3 possibilities.

One is that you had a posterior vitreous detachment. This is harmless. There is a gel inside of the eye. As you age, the gel breaks up into little pieces. When it does this, you may see lots of flashing lights. Then you will see things floating around. Sometimes you may see a large thing right in front of your vision. Eventually (over weeks) these things calm down.

Second is that you may have experienced an episode of ocular migraine. This starts as flashing and lightning show. This may be accompanied by loss of part of your vision. This may or may not be followed by a headache. The episodes usually last 20-30 minutes before clearing up.

Finally, you may have had an episode of amaurosis. This is the most disturbing. It is like a TIA. There may have been a clot that broke loose and clogged up the circulation to your eye. A lot of times, the clot passes through so the symptoms are only temporary. This is something that needs to be evaluated and treated before a bigger clot makes you lose vision permanently (or an even bigger clot causes you to have a stroke).

I would advise to see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

I hope this helps and thank you.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is Saturday morning, does asap mean now or make appointment for next week?

Family history:
my mom had a stroke and dad had a heart attack 30 years ago,

I do want to mention that I am active, mowed 3 yards yesterday.

also note for about 6 months I am experiencing lower right back mussel type pain,

would any of this have anything to do with my eye symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
t is Saturday morning, does asap mean now or make appointment for next week?

Family history:

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure that the work yesterday would be relevant, except maybe to trigger a migraine episode.

Whether you are seen today or Monday depends on if you are still having symptoms or have had another episode. If everything is back to normal for now, you can wait til Monday. But if you are still symptomatic or have had another episode, you need to be evaluated today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

to let you know I have been working in the yard today and the left side muddy vision is slowly improving, now is 90% better than this morning,
thinking may continue to improve,
and if it starts getting worse would I go to the emergency Hospital?

Thanks so much for your guidance
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

If it gets worse, you can go to the hospital or call your eye doctor. Otherwise, you still should get it looked at Monday.