Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi, I have developed a cold sore on my eye. I used to get

I have developed a cold sore on my eye. I used to get this on my eye quite often when i was younger and i was referred to Morphield Eye Hospital in London who told me it was cold sore. they gave me Zovirax eye cream to apply and that helped it go away. However, i am 19 now and i havnt had this cold sore on my eye for quite a few years and it came back the other day. I went to the doctors this morning and told my doctor it's a cold sore and i had been prescribed cream before. She said.."i dont think the cream will do much for you and i will prescribe you with antibiotics." Im not an expert, but im sure antibiotics cure infections, not viruses. And i believe that cold sores are a virus. So im slightly worried as ive read about blindness and other bad effects of this. Also, whenever i get the cold sore on my eye i also have a round lump on the side of my face near my ear. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Where is it on the eye? Can you describe what it looks like? Pain in the eyes? Decrease vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Its a red blister, just like a cold sore you would get on the mouth except it is underneath and around my right eye. There is pain in my eye, it feels sort of bruised as if i've been punched in the face. Its also very sore to touch. My eye seems to be watering a lot and sometimes my vision is a bit blurred.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It is filled with fluid or a bump in the middle of the eyelid?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cant feel a bump in the middle of the eyelid, and there is no fluid apart from when my eyes water...
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I have not often seen cold sores around the eyes similar to cold sores around the mouth. You can often have styes of the eyelid, however. A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

If it is a stye, antibiotics like your current doctor says may be useful. If it is a cold sure, then an antiviral would be useful, such as zovirax. Like I said, a stye is more common. You may want a 2nd opinion from another ophthalmologist to see what he thinks after looking at the lesion.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

I am pretty sure it is a cold sore as i have had it quite a number of times throughout my life. I just wanted you to confirm whether antibiotics will have much effect.

Also, you did not answer my question about the hard round lump on the side of my face which always comes up when i get these cold sores.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
If it is a cold sore, then oral antivirals would be the treatment. Acyclovir or Valtrex. The lump on the side of your face is likely a lymph node. The area of infection brings together a lot of different factors from your immune system. They drain to regional lymph nodes, such as the ones near the ear.

Please remember to accept.