Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

My 6 year old daughter has had bloodshot eyes for nearly a

Customer Question

My 6 year old daughter has had bloodshot eyes for nearly a week. One eye is all red, the other is red only on one side of the iris - the other is quite white. The eyes are only red where you can see. If you look on the top or bottom of the eyeball, it is still white. I put Visine in her eyes last night, and it looked better this morning, but it is still red and has not improved all day. It doesn't seem to itch or hurt, and her eyes have no discharge or goop.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Visine eye drops are basically decongestant eye drops. If she is improving with these eye drops then she has some kind of inflammation which in turn at this age can be due either allergy or a viral eye flu. But the fact that she has no itching and tearing is a little odd. You can continue using visine eye drops and add zaditor eye drops (available over the counter) to help her redness.
If sh does not improve in the next 2-3 days, then she would need to be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist in detail.