Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I recently woke up in the am with my eyes crossed. Was told

I recently woke up in the am with my eyes crossed. Was told to go to ER. Had many tests done, with no clear results. Stated I might have had a TIA, or mini stroke which damaged the nerve in the back of the eye. That it should regenerate itself. So far nothing has changed, it has been about 2 months since the occurance. I have asked already and been charged 15 dollars, and it came up with"denial of access." What gives?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm not sure what the "denial of access" means. But maybe I can help you with your question. What medical conditions do you have? What medications do you take? How is your vision (one eye at a time)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only meds I take are Levothyroxin, and Celexa. A multivitiman,and 81 mg aspirin.At the time of the incident, I had been off my thyroid meds for about a month for testing as to wether my thyroid cancer had returned. I had to have the radioactive capsule with body scan. The incident with my eyes happened about 5 days before the capsule, and my test.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 4 years ago.

There are nerves and muscles that connect to your eyes and allow them to move around. If one is damaged, the eye can't look in that certain direction. This will lead to crossed eyes and double vision since the other eye can still move. So the eyes can't move together.

There are many causes of this. But with your medical history and age, there are four things that come to mind.

One is a cranial nerve palsy. This occurs with small vessel diseases (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, hardening of arteries with aging). The circulation to the nerve is cut off and it suffers a temporary paralysis. This usually resolves in 8 weeks or so.

Second is a stroke to the brain stem. This is the area in your brain that controls eye movement.

Third is an acute thyroid attack. This causes the muscles to swell up and will limit the movement.

Finally, there is a condition called temporal arteritis that afflicts women in their 70's and 80's. This causes double vision and headaches. This can be detected by elevated ESR and CRP levels in the blood.

Finally, there is a condition called myasthenia gravis that is a neuromuscular disease. It can present as double vision or droopy eyelid.

You need an MRI scan of your brain and orbits to determine the cause. You also need some blood testing to evaluate for some of these conditions above.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology