Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

Left eye is slightly swollen on the outside, and red. Eye

Left eye is slightly swollen on the outside, and red. Eye is a little red, and it hurts, swelling from nose to eye, all the way to left ear. Have put anti biotic eye drops, but to no avail, nothing helps? Eye is little watery too.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- what is your age and gender?
- is there any redness of skin or a rash forming on the skin from nose to ear?
- since when are you having symptoms?
- any blurring of vision in the affected eye?
- are you able to tolerate bright light in the same eye?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

39 years old, female.

from nose to ear, there is redness, no rash though. but the redness is mainly around my whole eye, like on the eyelid, and all. looks like I got punched in the eye (similarly).

it has just started a few days ago, Thursday, the day before leaving on vacation, I've gone from Florida, to Las Vegas, from humidity to dry hot weather. (had a stye in my other eye a few months ago, and clogged tear duct, that I got some antibiotic for, and seemed to go away), but now problems with the other eye.

as far as the blurryness or bright lights; haven't had a problem with those really. just sore eyes, the pain is pretty bad, it hurts.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Considering your symptoms there are two possibilities in your case -
- allergic reaction - a severe allergic reaction (insect bite etc) on the corner of your eye can involve the skin and the eye as well.
- herpetic eye disease - a herpes infection of the eye can cause inflammation in the eye along with involvement of the skin surrounding the eye. This is a pretty painful condition.
The exact diagnosis can be reached on examining your eye. I would advise you to consult an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.