Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Would you advise against using regular hydrogen peroxide, USP

Would you advise against using regular hydrogen peroxide, USP (3%) to disinfect contact lenses instead of one of the solutions specifically for that purpose that are also 3% hydrogen peroxide, but are sterile and "microfiltered"? Why would the regular hydrogen peroxide be a problem, especially if the lenses were rinsed with saline solution prior to wearing?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What cleaning solution are you currently using? What type of contact lenses are you using?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The problem is not the hydrogen peroxide, but what happens to it after it does its job. Commercial preparation generally has the hydrogen peroxide as well as a second step to neutralize it into water.

Rinsing it alone with saline is not likely enough to neutralize the hydrogen peroxide and damage your eyes if it contacts yours eyes.

I generally recommend these cleaning systems to patients who tend to get a lot of deposit on their contact lenses. The multipurpose solutions are good for the soft contact lenses. Though the bottle says "no rub", it is still recommended you rub the contact lenses before putting them in your eyes.

It help on cost, you can consider using the commerical hydrogen peroxide once every few days or once a week to remove deposits.

Please remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best of luck to you. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a one step system--Sauflon One Step; I believe the disk neutralizes the hydrogen peroxide in the solution, so it would do the same, I assume, with regular 3% hydrogen peroxide topical solution, USP. (I'm simply don't want to pay $10 a bottle, if I can get roughly the same thing for $1 a bottle.) The One Step solution has 0.00025% poloxamer (a surfactant, so I guess that cleans off the deposits), which the USP doesn't have. But if the peroxide is neutralized, is there any danger (e.g., contaminants) from using the topical USP solution?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The one step solutions has the disk that changes the hydrogen peroxide into water (H2O2 --> H2O). I don't think the danger would be with contaminants because the peroxide would no allow bacterial growth.

My solution would be to use the store bought peroxide/neutralizer system once a week or once every two weeks. Then use the multi-solution daily. Another option could be dailies (more expensive, but takes away cleaning entirely).