Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I am a 68 year old Caucasian Male. Most of my life, from about

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old Caucasian Male. Most of my life, from about the Age of 8 years, I have been
afflicted with rather severe Myopia and have worn Corrective lenses since that time.
For most of my adult life, my vision, without glasses, tested as follows:
                          Right Eye- 20/400   Left Eye- 20/200
In addition, I also have an Astigmatism.

Approximately 2 years ago, my vision, spontaneously, without any kind of treatment, suddenly
changed radically. I because almost impossible to use my glasses. So, I went to an Optometrist
and had my eyes tested. Amazingly, the measurements of my eyes had changed radically.These were the new test results: Right Eye - 20/80   Left Eye - 20/20 (In fact, left eye is actually
about 20/10 and has become slightly far-sighted. I still, apparently have an Astigmatism. What could be the cause of a change like this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

There are many causes for your eyes changing. As we age, our eyes can change (one way or the other). Medical conditions, such as high blood pressure and diabetes, can cause such drastic changes as well. Eye conditions, such as glaucoma and (most likely) cataracts, can certainly change the prescription.

You should have a complete physical to check for any untowards medical conditions. Most likely the cause is a cataract. The first signs of a developing cataract is that it changes the focusing of your eyes. This will be followed in the next few years with a change in your vision (your vision will slowly get worse regardless of glasses or not).

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem, with the cataract diagnosis is that i specifically asked the Optometrist if Cataracts might be the reason and he told me that there was little or no evidence of any. That's why I was asking the the question that I asked. That, at least on the strength of my last Optometric exam, seems not to be the cause of the change. (I was going to say problem but any improvement in Vision, particularly as bad as mine has been for most of my life, can not strictly be termed a "problem" unless some other outcome makes itself known down the road. So far, and it's been at least two years, the change happened and it has remained stable and unchanged. So, go figure!