Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

The lower right quadrant of my eye had blocked vision and

The lower right quadrant of my eye had "blocked" vision and all I could see in that area was a bright, zig-zag light pattern. Lasted for 20 to 30 minutes - went to bed and this morning everything was fine. Anything to worry about?

Your description is typical of an ocular migaine. Migraines can have these characteristic ocular phenomena followed by a headache. Ocular migaines have the visual symptoms without the headache.

No treatment is necessary. Sometimes, these light patterns could be a sign of a retinal problem. It is recommend you get a dilated eye exam by your ophthalmologist.

If you suddenly see floaters or more flashes or veil or curtain in the periphery of your vision, then you should call your ophthalmologist promptly.

Remember to press the accept button. Best wishes to you. Smile