Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

i have brief periods of double vision, one object overtop of

Customer Question

i have brief periods of double vision, one object overtop of another, and objects close up appear "wavy and out of focus. these last about a minute or less and occur about twice a week,   I am 62 and have no health problems and take no meds
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Does the double vision go away when you close one eye? When did it start? Is the waviness in one or both eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it goes away if i close one eye it started about 2 weels ago it is only when i have both eyes open, if i close one eye the vision is fine. i do wear bifocals
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Is the vision double only up close, far away or both? Do you waer glasses for distance? Any pain in your eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

both, no pain but some watering, i have worn glases since i was about 13. i can't see at all without them. I read a LOT

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It appears that your two eyes are having difficulty working together, causing your double vision. This misalignment of the eyes are usually due to a disruption of the nerves going to the eye muscles.

Your description of the objects one on top of the other is termed vertical diplopia. The most common cause of this is due a weakness of the 4th cranial nerve. This can be damaged by trauma, such as falling and hitting your head. It is also non uncommon for people to be born with a weakness of the 4th cranial nerve. They don't have double vision because they are able to compensate for it. It can come out in times of tiredness.

Depending on your prescription, the double vision can be due to an inappropriate prescrition. If you are using your distance prescription for reading, that can cause double vision along with images being out of focus. Bifocals can help with that.

Vertical diplopia can occasionally be due to problems with the brain. These tend to be accompanied by other symptoms. I recommend you visit with your ophthalmologist for a complete exam to determine the cause of your double vision.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.