Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

What do you recommend for treatment of eyelid swelling . I

What do you recommend for treatment of eyelid swelling?. I have been dealing with this for three months and it is the worse in the morning. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed a topical steroid which does help somewhat but as soon as I stop using it the swelling is as bad as ever and I don't want to apply a steroid for the rest of my life. . I drink lots of water and have tried over the counter allergy meds. Should I see an eye doctor instead??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Are both lids swollen? Or just one? Are the eyes red? Is there any pain? Do you wear contacts? What other medical conditions do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both eyelids and under the eye as well (looks like I develope over night wrinkles) No I do not wear contacts, The skin all around the eye itches and gets red on and off. applying the gel from an aloe plant has helped alot with this but still have the swelling. Otherwise I am healthy and I have no other medical conditions other than I have started early signs of menopause.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

One more question: Are the lids red?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not very red now, but they have been very red at times during this whole thing. Again, since I started putting gel from an aloe leaf on at night it has helped alot with redness and burning .

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like you are suffering from allergies. But it could be lymphatic edema or fatty prolapse as well. There could be other inflammatory conditions that can cause swelling as well. I agree you probably need to see an ophthalmologist also.

In the meanwhile, cool compresses can help. You can take some precautions to help at night (humidy the air, turn of ceiling fans). Steroids certainly will help. Crolom or Alrex are probably better allergy meds than the OTC. Sinus medications can also help if this is an extension of chronic sinus problems. Finally, lid surgery or lasers can help with the chronic skin changes.