Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

How common is it to have a half circle in your vision after

How common is it to have a half circle in your vision after cataract surgury. It is only on one side of my eye. Neva

Is the half circle on the outside half of your vision? How long ago was your surgery? How is your vision otherwise? Any floaters?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is on the outside of my eye..I was told I was seeing where the incision was but I have talked to others that have not had this problem. I feel like there is a hair in the way of my vision. Surgery was 10 days ago. I do not have floaters. My vision is somewhat blurry at a distance.

It is not uncommon. We usually make the incision in the cornea on the outside part of your eye. At first, the incision is rough and jagged and white. Then over time it softens and becomes translucent with the cornea tissue. This may take several weeks to even months, but you will stop seeing it. Not everyone may have this effect.

The other thing is to make sure that there is no bleeding or retinal detachment in the back (but your surgeon would be able to pick that up).

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. He also said I was seeing the edge of the lens and that really made me nervous. I need to have the other eye done but didn't want to until this issue was cleared up. Thank you again.

You are welcome. It's usually not the edge of the lens.