Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i have blood shot eyes all the time. I get plenty of sleep,

Customer Question

i have blood shot eyes all the time. I get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, wash my eye lids, use eye drop (not too often) why is this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When did the blood shot eyes start? How often do you use the eye drops? Do you wear contact lenses?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the red eyes started about 10 years ago. I use natural tears a few times a day along with visine A a couple times a day. I started wearing contact lenses about 7 years ago. My mother and brother both who do not wear contact lenses suffer from the same problem I do. Both eyes are red almost all the time.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Redness is usually a sign of underlying irritation. Dryness is the most common cause. Contact lenses can also cause chronic dryness as well.

I would would recommend you use the artificial tears more frequently, 4-6 times a day. The visine-A can also cause something called rebound hyperemia. The visine that "gets the red out" has medication that constrict the blood vessels. Your eyes can build up a tolerance this medication and when you don't use it, it gets redder than before. This starts a cyclical dependence on the vasoconstrictor.

My recommendation would be to limit your usage of the Visine. Increase your use of artificial tears. Consider punctal plugs by your ophthalmologist to allow more of your own tears to coat your eyes.

Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.