Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had limited vision as a result of droopy eye lids, i had

Customer Question

I had limited vision as a result of droopy eye lids, i had surgery to raise my eye lids, but now one eye lid is larger than the other, by 1 1/2 mm. my doctor tells me, to leave it alone not to worry about that. that my plan did not pay for cosmetic surgery,just to raise them,yet one is clearly completely open, and the other looks halve open,or looks regular. my question is, should i get a second opinion? and will my medical insurance pay for a second opinion? my lids also itch a lot, and i feel them burning.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I recommend that you seek a second opinion. That with amount of difference, it sounds like one eyelid is still droopy.

I recommend you consult with an oculoplastics specialists. There are two types of droopy eyelid surgery, an internal approach and an external approach. Visit the webpage below to find one near you.

I am not sure if your insurance will pay again. If it is still affecting your vision, it should cover. The office you get your second opinion should be able to confirm that for you.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my surgery was on top of my eye lids, my left eye looks round,and my right looks straight across,or about the middle,but not droopy,and both itch a lot since surgery. i want to know if 1 1/2 mm difference is a big gap?and should i be concerned with that gap?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When you say gap, do you mean the difference between the two eyes? Which is still droopy? Does it still affect your vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my left eye lid is as round as a quarter,and the doctor told me that is 1 1/2 mm,larger,than the right. but to leave it alone. but the right is not droopy.It looks as a regular eye lid. my Doctor said he did not get paid enough by my plan to to do a better job! but he did acknoledge that the left was larger than the other! anyway i see that there is no answer to my question, maybe an attorney can get results for me at thisw point. but thank you.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The doctor's answer of "he did not get paid enough" is not excuse to do a poor quality job. Though it was for droopy eyelids affecting your vision, it should still be done with the same care to lift the lid and make them both equal.

The contour of the eyelid is the result of how the muscle was reattached. I believe that you could benefit from a revision the eyelid by an oculoplastic surgeon. From your most recent post, it could be that your LEFT lid was overcorrected or lifted too much. This maybe covered under your insurance.

I think you can still benefit from a second opinion and possible revision of the left eye. I wish you the best.