Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had a cataract removed from my right eye and my vision became

Customer Question

I had a cataract removed from my right eye and my vision became much worse, The Dr said the cataACT was hiding a retena problem. Both eyes have Fuchs: my left eye also has damage from Herpes Zoster, and a cataract. The Dr does not want to remove the cataract because of what happened to the right eye.   I like to think there is something or someone out there that could help me to see. I would appreciate your input. Thank you,.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello avocae1,

When was the cataract removed? What retinal problem was discussed with you? What was your vision before the surgery (20/100, 20/200??)?

What drops are you currently on? Your next followup appointment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my eyesight was 20/100 after the cataract was removed. I don/t know what it was b4 The cataract was removed 2 yes ago. many visits to retina doctor and the surgeon. They keep track of any deteration of the Fuchs

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

There are some instances that the cataract is bad enough that the doctor cannot look through it. If that was the case with you, then it could have been difficult to see any retina problems. The most common retina problem is macular degeneration.

The Fuchs' is something the doctor would have know before the surgery. Fuchs' causes swelling of the cornea (front part of the eye). If the swelling is bad enough, there is a surgery available to help with that (full or partial corneal transplant).

If the retina problem is bad though, then the cornea surgery many not improve the vision too much.

So, you should ask your doctor about how much the Fuchs' contributes to the vision loss and how much the retina problems contributes.

Currently, wet macular degeneration is treated with injections into the eye and dry macular degeneration is treated with high dose vitamins.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.