Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have suffered from inflammation of the eyelids( Blaphitis

Customer Question

I have suffered from inflammation of the eyelids( Blaphitis )spelling may not be correct I have been prescribed Chloramphenicol ointment ,but this only gives temporary relief, as I believe that it is a steriod base and is not safe to use continually ,my question is are there any other treatments that I could have? Norman Easom
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello Norman,

What other treatments are you currently doing beside the Chloramphenicol? Do you use artificial tears? How old are you? Any other medical problems?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I use bi-carb of soda as an eye bath ,iam 82 years old and am beimg treated for high blood pressure and i have C>O>P>D.nd am using inhalers Seretide 125 and Atrovent.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I would recommend you use baby shampoo diluted in water and scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. That should help clear the debris from the eyelashes. Do this 2 times a day.

Also use freqent artificial tears 4-6 times a day. The chloramphenicol is an antibiotic. If you use this frequently, it can also be one of the causes of your inflammation. I would ask you doctor if you are able to stop that for now.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile