Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have an occasional problem with my eye. Suddenly I see

I have an occasional problem with my eye.

Suddenly I see blood vessel type of lines running up and down in my vision.

Also see sometimes splashes of color on objects where the color does not exist.Generally becomes after I bat my eyelids or just close my eyes for a few seconds.

Wonder what could be the reasons and are they serious.

I am also a diabetic and take care and am under doctor's care also in the normal way.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
When was the last time your eyes were check with dilation? DO you ever see these lines and color without blinking? What was your last hemoglobin A1C value? What is your age?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am 62 years old.

I have a eye check evey year

I dont have the values with me

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You have a thick gel material inside your eyes. Over time, it liquifies. I believe the lines you are seeing is that liquified vitreous.

The colors you are seeing could be due to the stimulation of the retina from this vitreous. As you blink, it jostles your eyes slight (similar to a snow-globe). If you have been noticing these changes for a long time, then no need to worry. If this has been recent, I would recommend you get an eye exam to check for any problems with your retina (such as tears or holes).

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters or lines, increase amount of flashes (similar to a lightening storm), or a dark curtain/veil in the periphery, you need to contact your ophthalmologist immediately as theses can be signs of a retinal detachment.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions.Smile