Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my daughter thought earlier today that she may have the beginnings

my daughter thought earlier today that she may have the beginnings of pink eye. eye slightly red, watering, inside eye lid red. now that all doctors, clinics etc are closed ( of course) eye is very painful, unable to open-she says feels as tho there is something very sharp sticking thru eye ( not as in something small lodged in eye and scraping -but as in pain in eye itself. any suggestions on how to get thru night?
When did the pain start? Is this in both eyes? Any trauma to the eyes? Any other kids with pink eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just began this afternoon--perhaps 3:00 pm. one eye only. no trauma. wears contacts--took them out immediately- has not worn since. ( daughter is 22-lives in chicago--not with us.) long distance call with symptoms and pain.
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

The amount of pain she describe is not common for pink eye. With contact lens user, I am concerned for a corneal infection. I recommend she get evaluated. An eye specialist if possible (optometrist or ophthalmologist), or urgent care.

If she is seen in the urgent care, she needs to make sure they use a slit lamp. This provide a magnified view of the eyeball. Without this, small infections can be easily missed.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she did have an infection YEARS ago-- became ulcerated and was concerned about this when she is complaining of such pain....but any thoughts of anything that will relieve pain if it worsens during the night?
I recommend she not wait until tomorrow to be seen and treated.

For now, she can take tylenol or ibuprofen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. i dont think she can find her way to a hospital urgent care by herself at this point. will tell her to go somewhere immediately in the morning, I guess. thank you again.
You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button if I have been helpful.